Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Time to Tighten the Belt

Tonight we reviewed finances. Not in terrible shape, but we need to make changes if we plan to survive the costs of fertility treatments and possibly adoption down the line.

For the last few years I haven't worried much about money. Do I want sushi from Whole Foods? Go buy it! Do I want to buy my vegetables at Fresh Market because it's more convenient, even though it's a lot more expensive? Why not? I don't do it that often.

All that is about to end.

Not that I spend money like a fool. I don't. I agonize over any large purchase. I don't like to splurge on fancy meals except on rare occasion. I buy clothes on sale or clearance most of the time, and even check out Good Will on occasion. And I'm not someone who typically shops for shopping's sake.

BUT, when it comes to day to day things (like groceries, grabbing a hot drink from Starbucks, picking up food for dinner rather than cooking in, etc.), we're doing well enough that I haven't had to pay attention. And that has been really nice.

It will be different. But if it means we get to have children, I'm all in.

It may even bring some good:
  • Less stores to shop if I stick to Kroger
  • Hubby and I will likely cook and eat more together rather than having so many late dinners of Chipotle bowls or Whole Foods grab-n-go meals
  • Cooking more will make it easier to stick to our diets
So, there you go. Not all bad. :)

This weekend we plan.

6 comments:

  1. i just started couponing. It has added $600.00 a month back to our budget and that is without really trying. If you want some tips about it let me know.

    I remember the looking at the budget and gearing up for treatments and the like.

    Good luck and I hope you get your BFP very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH and I have had similar conversations! I wish you the best in your new endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your path forward. I love Whole Foods and if you shop right you can create great meals for a couple dollars per person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for what you are going through, but enjoyed reading your take on the situation. I am not at the IVF stage yet, but I sure hope it works out well for you. As a Catholic who is about to do something 'immoral' (I disagree strongly of course), I am wondering what your take is on the injunction against envy (you pregnant bee-atches). I posted about it today and am interested in a dialog about it with a weigh-in from someone who knows more about religion that I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from L&F. Welcome to the blogging world! We also have MF and we chose to go down the ICSI road -thankfully it worked. Wishing you all the best in whatever decision you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from LFCA, we're also a MFI couple! We were similar never really thought too much about purchases, living comfortably. We also cut back & paid more attention to where we spend our money, all definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete